Fyne Futures has been delivering a range of social and environmental benefits to Bute and beyond since 2005. Our activities include recycling collection and processing, furniture reuse, community car club, energy efficiency and renewable energy and market garden. We have a vacancy for Horticulture Coordinator to lead Bute Produce. The main focus is on developing employability and horticultural skills with unemployed and young people, whilst developing our Green Box scheme.
JOB TITLE Horticulture Co-ordinator
SALARY: £17,771 per annum, year end review pending funding
LOCATION: ISLE OF BUTE
TERM: Fixed Term Contract to 31st March 2014, with potential to extend depending on funding
HOURS: 35 hour week, flexibility needed
ACCOUNTABILITY & RESPONSIBILITY
The Horticulture Co-Ordinator is directly accountable to the General Manager on a day to day basis and has line management responsibility for Horticulture Deputy, work-based trainees, students and volunteers.
Qualifications and Experience:
The post requires substantial experience and proven track record in horticulture, with particular focus on fruit and vegetable production, preferably with RHS or equivalent accreditation
The post requires Certificate in Education or equivalent professional experience to deliver modular training programme in horticulture to SQA accreditation standard
Full, clean driver’s licence desirable.
MAIN OBJECTIVES OF POST
• To achieve the business and community objectives, within budget, of Bute Produce
• To provide horticultural and social enterprise work experience and training for work-based trainees and volunteers
• To develop, plan and implement a package of training modules to support work-based trainees and students achieve accredited horticulture skills
• To provide support on-job learning of deputy horticulturist, work-based trainees, students and volunteers to ensure that the garden operates effectively
• To organise and plan garden activities in order to grow a range of produce that generate an income stream for Fyne Futures
• To manage the performance of direct reports in line with agreed performance management processes
• Liaison with schools, training providers, partner agencies and community organisations to promote educational activities and local produce
• To be responsible for requisition, allocation and utilisation of horticulture stock, plant, materials and equipment, with support of business administration manager.
• To be responsible for health and safety issues on Ashfield site,supported by Health & Safety Committee
• To carry out other such duties and responsibilities as may be required from time to time by the Line Manager.
Applications can be made through Job Centre Plus or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org including C.V. by noon, Friday, 24th May 2013.