JOB TITLE Horticultural Trainee
SALARY Minimum Wage (based on applicant age)
HOURS 30 hours per week
TERM 12 week period
LOCATION Isle of Bute
This post is a funded role through Leader
ACCOUNTABILITY & RESPONSIBILITY
The horticultural trainee is directly accountable to the Horticultural Assistant on a day-to-day basis, with overall accountability to the Horticultural Coordinator.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
Ideally, the post requires a basic knowledge of gardening or land development related to produce (fruit and vegetables). It also requires the ability to develop and train in skills relating to horticultural and agricultural tasks within a local produce site. Further flexibility in working hours is required to meet the seasonal growing schedules of a producing garden. Clean Driver’s License desirable.
MAIN OBJECTIVES OF POST
To provide effective support to the Horticultural Assistant to ensure the successful operation and land management of a producing garden including sowing, planting, cultivation, harvesting and horticultural care of a range of produce. Further engagement with the public will be required as well as participating in activities or workshops held on site involved the community. Further development of rural and land development skills will be required. A willingness to learn new skills in land management, production, equipment safety and maintenance, and a general interest in the food cycle is desirable. From time to time, the project may involve off site work to support outreach activities.
· To maintain day to day activities relating to the care of produce form seed to retail with new learning skills relating to agricultural growing methods.
· To undertake daily tasks such as watering, harvesting, planting, digging and other tasks as required to maintain and increase yield on site.
· To operate farm and garden equipment as directed and within health and safety requirements
· To prepare and present the green box vegetables to a high and consistent standard
· To record sales of produce and ensure accurate information passed on to the Supervisor and Administrator.
· To provide a high level of customer service at all times.
· To assist with educational and marketing activities to raise awareness and promote our goods and services.
Please contact the Rothesay Job Centre for an application form. Completed applications can be returned FTAO Fiona Zavaroni, Fyne Futures Ltd, 81 Victoria Street, Rothesay, Isle of Bute, PA20 0LG. Alternatively they can be handed to the Rothesay Job Centre.